The reason I blog...

"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and
keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh
your memory of these meaningful, significant things. Some of them may be funny.
Some may be of significance only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly
beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of
special experience."
~Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, August 14, 2008

A little help please?

All right so I'm still posting some stuff from July, but in the meantime I'm in need of some help. I don't know how much help y'all will be seeing that your children are probably as young if not younger than mine...but still I'm reaching out to anyone who has some advice...who knows maybe you've studied this stuff!!

So my question is how young/old do your children have to be when you need to have the sex talk with them?? Ahhh!! I know I'm talking about my little 4 year old being curious about all sorts of grown up things...and I'm so terrified to say the wrong thing that I don't know what to tell her!! Okay...breathe...I got it out...that wasn't so bad right?? So if any of you have some advice on what to do I could use it! I feel like she has grown up SO quickly and I was so not expecting to have this conversation with her until...I don't know...she was 25!! I just want some advice on what to tell her and how to explain things in an adult way that she will understand. Okay so there it is...please help!!

6 comments:

Tara said...

What kind of stuff is she asking about? My dad told me about the birds and the bees when I was five and it started cause I asked him how a cow has a baby! He started with cows and moved on to people and told me just the basics but made sure to tell me over and over that it was beautiful and important to heavenly fathers plan of having families! But she seems to young still! I don't know what to say just make sure you and joey are comfortable with what you tell her! Good luck with that one! I hope boys aren't as perseptive as girls cause I don't want that talk next year!!

Melissa said...

I don't know what to tell you. I hope i don't have to do that too soon. When you figure it out, let me know! Good luck.

Lindsay said...

I don't even know! I am so terrified of that sort of thing.

I am almost 4 months pregnant and we were telling our oldest,Talmon (4),that he would have a new brother or sister soon. He asked me how the baby got in my tummy... I just told him that our Heavenly Father put it there for us. That seemed a good enough answer for him and he didn't ask any more questions. I know it wont always.. so when he gets older and asks more specific questions we will answer with more specific answers. Let me know what other advice you get... and GOOD LUCK!!

The Holders said...

Oh my! Brynlee was about Aspens age I think when they had that problem. She had a naughty friend tell her not so good things. I think I told you about that situation. I can't imagine having to deal with that so soon. I think just be as simple as possible and hopefully she forgets about it soon!

Shauna said...

Oh man 4yr olds are asking questions now! Crap! I got a degree in Family Science/Human Development degree at the U, (don't let that fool you into thinking that I am expert), what we were taught is to keep it simple and on their level. Obviously you don't need to go into any great depth. Or you can ask her what she has heard and clear up any weird info she has. I can't believe a 4 year old knows much. So you'll probably be relieved and find hat it wasn't so bad. I think it's best to let her know that you will answer her questions while she is young so she won't go asking her friends and you'll know what understanding she has about it. Also, if you're not weird about it, she won't be either. I don't know if I have made any sense but here is a website that I really like for parenting info and they have a ton of information regarding "The talk". Hope this helps

http://www.valuesparenting.com/talktokids.php

P.S. It's nice to see you back in business.

M. M. C. C. said...

well.. I don't know if you want my advice on this, because Michael and I have pretty open views and would just come right out and explain it. that's probably a bad thing especially when Chanler tells all of his friends what we said, but maybe by that point we'll have a different opinion. so, my point is this: she's going to find out eventually anyway and if she's legitimately curious, you should tell her. let me know how it goes and what you decide to do.

on a different note, I LOVE the photos of Aspen and Clayton!!! who does them and how do I get signed up. I love the candid look.