The reason I blog...

"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and
keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh
your memory of these meaningful, significant things. Some of them may be funny.
Some may be of significance only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly
beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of
special experience."
~Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Michelle

Shortly after we got home from our trip we got the sad news that our friend Michelle had passed away at the age of 28 from cancer. I can't even begin to imagine the things this family has had to go through. Knowing what was coming and never giving up hope. We were able to go see Justin and Michelle a couple weeks before she passed away, and it was tough to see her so fragile. It's hard to describe the feeling of being there while she is just a couple years older than we are. She was so optimistic about everything, and it was fun to see her still telling Justin what to do (or what not to do)! If it were me I hope I'd be the same way! It was an emotional heartbreaking funeral, but bittersweet at the same time. Knowing that she is in a better place and not having to fight such a horrible disease anymore. I don't think there was a dry eye in the entire church...it was a little surreal to be surrounded by a bunch of big tough Marines with tears in there eyes. Thank goodness our goodbyes are not really goodbyes. I'm so thankful for the knowledge of the Gospel. I know that families are forever! I could go on and on but I'm already crying again just thinking about it all!

Also, this is such a sweet song that they played at her funeral...it fit so perfectly for Michelle.


Here are the lyrics...

Artist: Alan Jackson
Song: Sissy's Song
Album: Good Time

Why did she have to go
So young I just don't know why
Things happen half the time
Without reason without rhyme
Lovely, sweet young woman
Daughter, wife and mother
Makes no sense to me
I just have to believe

She flew up to Heaven on the wings of angels
By the clouds and stars and passed where no one sees
And she walks with Jesus and her loved ones waiting
And I know she's smiling saying
Don't worry 'bout me

Loved ones she left behind
Just trying to survive
And understand the why
Feeling so lost inside
Anger shot straight at God
Then asking for His love
Empty with disbelief
Just hoping that maybe

She flew up to Heaven on the wings of angels
By the clouds and stars and passed where no one sees
And she walks with Jesus and her loved ones waiting
And I know she's smiling saying
Don't worry 'bout me

It's hard to say goodbye
Her picture in my mind
Will always be of times I'll cherish
And I won't cry 'cause

She flew up to Heaven on the wings of angels
By the clouds and stars and passed where no one sees
And she walks with jesus and her loved ones waiting
And I know she's smiling saying
Don't worry 'bout me
Don't worry 'bout me
Don`t worry 'bout me


Oh and 3 funerals in one month is enough for me thank you very much...i don't think i can afford to buy more tissues or waterproof mascara!

3 comments:

The Holders said...

I didn't even know her and her story touched me. It breaks my heart for her family. That is definitely my worst fear.

Melissa said...

I'm the same as Marcie- I don't even know this person and my heart is breaking for her poor family. I wonder all too often what I would do if something happened to Chad- Too painful to comprehend.

Ang said...

I'm so sorry about your friend. It's moments like that when life comes into perspective and you realize that it's the little things that count. And aren't we lucky to have the knowledge we have. Take care.