The reason I blog...

"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and
keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh
your memory of these meaningful, significant things. Some of them may be funny.
Some may be of significance only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly
beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of
special experience."
~Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Doe Hunt

Saturday morning was the opening morning of mine and Joey's Antlerless (doe) hunt down in Delta. We drove down Friday night with the kids and woke up bright and early Saturday morning. I was totally siked!! I spotted the first group of deer at about 7 am...I got out of the truck...aimed...and the the muzzleloader didn't go off!! We had this problem last year, for some reason the caps wouldn't light the gun powder and therefore...no shot!! Joey cleaned the gun like crazy and can't figure it out!?! Well about 30 minutes later I had another chance...I didn't expect the gun to actually fire...it didn't exactly go off when it should have...kind of a delayed reaction. Anyways, Joey caught up to it and got a shot on it with his bow from about 40 yards and hit her!! I've never followed a blood trail before...so that was pretty sweet! (Last year when I shot my deer she fell over right where I shot her!) We tried to get another (legal) shot on a deer, but were unsuccesful...so I guess we'll try again next weekend. We're going to use a different gun...so hopefully I'll have better luck! It's exciting to be able to share this hobby with Joey! It's definitely not something that I would have done before I met him...who would've known that I actually enjoy it!
Here's a picture of Joey with his doe... (By the way he did not want me to take a picture of him...he says you don't take a picture if it doesn't have antlers...but I had to get it for the blog!) I also wish I would have gotten one of me shaking his hand, which for some reason is in the hunting handbook for all men that kill something...they must have a congratulatory handshake!! Don't worry though...I'll remember to get one when I kill mine! Ha, ha! Mmmmmmm...bring on the deer steaks!!

2 comments:

SheL said...

Fun! I want to go! I was so jealous the other day because my parents had Elk steaks... they waiting until AFTER we left instead of sharing. Jerks. Have fun and I hope you have better luck with your gun next time =)

Lindsay said...

Wow! You are brave!