The reason I blog...

"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and
keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh
your memory of these meaningful, significant things. Some of them may be funny.
Some may be of significance only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly
beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of
special experience."
~Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Painting with the kids

So one of my resolutions/goals for this year is to play more with the kids...like actually play with them. I had a couple canvases laying around so i thought it would be fun to have the kids paint them however they want...



This is hard for me...which is why they've been sitting in my basement for about 2 years...I envisioned the kids painting perfect scribbles...a child masterpiece or something.  

Well, I decided to just let go of that and let them paint whatever and however they wanted!


 It was fun for all of us I think...the kids had fun painting and we had fun helping/watching/taking pictures.

Looking at them now it makes me happy that we did it. I look at them and think, "I wonder what they'll be when they grow up?" Will they love to play sports, or dance, or sing, or play the piano, or be an artist?  I think as a parent you sometimes want to live vicariously through your children...get them involved in everything you loved or wish you would've done.  But what i'm learning is that we need to just let them do what they want to do...not what we want them to do. 



The kids are growing up entirely too fast for me! It makes me sad...but then it makes me happy to see them grow and do things independently also.  What would we do without these little monsters that drive us crazy most days?! 

Here's Aspen's masterpiece...(it's a unicorn)
And Clayton's...well his is a blue and red = purple blob

Now I just need to find a place to hang them!

Is there something you wish or want your kids to grow up and do?  I'd love to hear what it is! 



3 comments:

Tara said...

Mission, mission, temple!! I would love for them to be so smart and make lots of money, but if i had to choose I would rather have strong faithful men in the gospel!! Everything else is just extra :)

Jenni M. said...

Missions and temple, of course! But I'd also like them to be really good with money. Like saving for their retirement really early and buying their cars with cash and whatnot. I'd like them to avoid the whole debt game. It's a nightmare and one that I'd rather have them understand and avoid.

Melissa said...

I want them to learn the value of a dollar. And to get lost in service. Missions and Temple are also right up there- everything else will fall into place!