The reason I blog...

"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and
keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh
your memory of these meaningful, significant things. Some of them may be funny.
Some may be of significance only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly
beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of
special experience."
~Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Aspen moments...

So, yesterday I had one of those "mother of the year" moments.  You know those moments when you feel like the worst mom ever...and you should definitely be nominated for "mother of the year"!!  I still can't believe it...I forgot Aspen at school!  My little 1st grader!!  You see...normally Joey picks her up after school, but I forgot that he was still in Washington for his grandma's funeral, and I totally spaced arranging someone else to pick her up.  You can imagine how I felt when I saw the schools phone number pop up on my phone while I was at work!  I felt terrible!!  Luckily Jeremy was close and able to pick her up.  Did you ever get left somewhere when you were little?  I remember not getting picked up right away from dance class...and it was terrifying for me.  Aspen was a trooper though...she went back inside found a teacher and had them help her call me.  She called me as soon as she was with Jeremy and said, "Mom, you forgot me!!!"  I wanted to cry...but she told me of course she didn't hate me and that I was forgiven.  I still feel bad about it though.  

Anyways...I also wanted to share this story about Aspen from the other night...but I couldn't have put it better than the way Jeremy did....so here's the story in Jeremy's words...

Let me tell you a story about Aspen and how wonderful she is!
The kids wanted to watch a movie last night so we started watching America's funniest animals. The kids loved it but it wasn't helping to calm them down, instead they were wrestling with me and climbing on my neck and laughing hysterically all while I was trying to prepare a lesson. Leslie was exhausted from taking care of everything on Sunday, so she was lying down in our room.
So I decided to put on a more serious movie, Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Part 1 for the non-geeks) in the hopes it would calm them down and put them to sleep. Well as the movie came on Aspen, who I forget can now read, saw that the movie was PG-13 and immediately asked, "Why are we watching a PG-13 movie?, PG-13 movies are bad!" I responded "PG-13 stands for 'Parental Guidance for children under 13', and since you and Clayton are under 13 and I am an adult we can watch this movie."
After some more convincing she relented; but left a couple of minutes into the movie. She came back and said to me "Jeremy we shouldn't be watching this, I don't feel good when I watch this movie." I quickly asked "Why don't you feel good?
And this is where Joseph Smith's quote about pure intelligence flowing in you comes to mind. She responded in her sweet loving voice that it almost makes me cry, "I don't feel the Holy Ghost when we watch this." I was floored! Aspen is a wonderful little 6 year old girl who has been difficult as of late. Yet she was able to teach me such a great lesson! I am amazed that a girl of 6 years can FEEL that something wasn't right, recognize it and finally say it with such conviction!

Just wanted to tell you all this story to boast about my wonderful little girl!
 
Isn't she just adorable?  And isn't it cute the way Jeremy just loves her like his own?  I'm super blessed to have such wonderful kids and a wonderful husband who both teach me so much! 
 
Here's some cute pics of my favorite little girl taken last summer...






I don't think I ever posted all of these...so maybe I'll do a separate post on them soon! They were taken by the talented Joanna Taylor. 

All the love in the universe~


2 comments:

The Holders said...

She is such a sweet little girl. (if she is still considered a little girl!) If you ever need help I am usually always available! I would love to help out and Kylee I know would love to have her come and play!

Melissa said...

Such a sweet story! Thanks for sharing! She is growing up too fast!
I don't remember being left anywhere when I was younger, but I do remember Marcie being left a few times! She had Sunday dinner with us one day because her family left her at church! Good ol' days.