The reason I blog...

"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and
keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh
your memory of these meaningful, significant things. Some of them may be funny.
Some may be of significance only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly
beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of
special experience."
~Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Food Storage and Japan

So I haven't been very good at blogging the "moments"...but whatever!  One thing that has been on my mind this last week is the tragedy in Japan and being prepared.  I've never been very good at watching the news or keeping up with what's going on in the world...mostly because it really depresses me.  But last night as everyone was in bed I thought I'd check my email and when I logged into yahoo and started to read the news headlines I got swept into it all.  I started watching the many video's of an entire city swept away all while the people who lived there watched from higher up.  I started to cry when I thought of how unprepared I am for something like that to happen to us.  And then I started to cry more as I watched the many people trying to locate their families and loved ones.  I can't imagine the anguish these people are going through right now.  It's depressing I tell you!  And I think I watched enough sad videos last night to last me a few more months of not watching or keeping up with world news!


But it has got me thinking about food storage...and 72 hour kits...and organizing my important documents like birth certificates and such.  I mentioned in a previous post about us going to the cannery...and that was really a lot of fun!  I wasn't expecting it to be at all.  Mostly I think it was fun because my hubby was there with me helping!  After we canned and purchased a few things to start us off...I felt a little relieved!  Now I just need to think of ways to use the stuff.  Potatoe flakes and oatmeal I can handle...it's the dry beans and wheat that have me worried!  My most favorite thing about the things we got is that they have a 30 year shelf life!!  30 years people!!  If anyone wants to go sometime...I'd be willing to go again...it was really interesting! Here's a few pictures of us...

Don't we look cute?!!

Also, have you guys heard of Lent?  We don't celebrate it or whatever in our church...but the ideas I've seen around the blogging world of people doing good things during the 40 days leading up to Easter I think are pretty cool.  So I thought I'd join in...my goal is to try to purge and decrapify my house by Easter...in hopes of simplifying our lives and our homes in hopes of making more time for the things that are important...like having the Spirit with us, thinking more about the Savior, and spending more quality time as a family. 

Who's with me...anyone else want to have a decrapifying party?! 

All the love in the universe~

4 comments:

The Holders said...

I would go with you! I need to get some better food storage!

Anonymous said...

I went to the cannery last year with the Relief Society. It was a lot of fun. My favorite part was using the machine that sealed the cans. I could have done that all afternoon!

Julie Doyle said...

I can testify that beans and wheat last 30 years!!! Grandma Lucille always had a wonderful food storage. When we were cleaning out her house, under the steps we found wheat, beans and rice. Also honey! My dad was going to throw it out and I said NO!! I don't know how old it is .. but I talked him into not taking it to the dump. Grandma Lucille would be laughing... I talked to dad the other day and he told me that he has been using the wheat .. I thought what??? He told me how he is feeding all the birds out by his house..with the wheat.
I will be going to get the rice and beans.

Melissa said...

Food Storage and 72 hr kits are something I've thought about too, but haven't come up with a plan. We do have 72 hr kits, outdated I'm sure, but they are on the top shelf in the pantry- so unless Chad is home when they are needed we are screwed because I can't get to them. Even with the step ladder! (insert short joke here!)