The reason I blog...

"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and
keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh
your memory of these meaningful, significant things. Some of them may be funny.
Some may be of significance only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly
beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of
special experience."
~Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, April 19, 2010

I ran a 5K!!

So a while ago, I mentioned that I was training to run in a 5K...  Running is not something I've EVER liked to do!  I've had friends and family members run in races...and i've always thought they were crazy!  But for some strange reason...I decided I wanted to join them...and say that i've ran one!  So I started running/jogging/walking about 3 times a week for the past couple of months.  I've never calculated the distance I've gone each time...just tried to go at least 20-30 minutes.  At first it about killed me!  I'd get side aches immediately...I felt like I was an out of shape smoker or something!  Anyways...it got easier each time.  I had planned to run in the Salt Lake City 5K with my sister in law, but she's had problems with her feet hurting her...so I ended up running on my own...I almost decided to just bag the whole idea.  I'm SO glad that I didn't!  It was truly such a great experience!  I was overwhelmed at one point of the race when thinking of the cause everyone was running for...I seriously had to compose myself so that I didn't start crying!  Their were families there with pictures of their relatives who were suffering and fighting off cancer...and the one behind me was supporting a little girl just 6 years old.  I feel so blessed to have 2 healthy, beautiful children and to be healthy myself!  And can't imagine what these families must go through everyday.  It was awesome to see everyone pushing and motivating each other to the finish line!  Is it completely silly...that I was overwhelmed by the Spirit while I was running?  Well I was...and it was awesome!  The run wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be...there was one point at the top of the hill on our way back that I didn't think I was going to make it...but I kept telling myself, "I'm not going to die right now...I can go a little bit further!" and then i got through the hard part and it was down hill the rest of the way!  I don't know if I'm hooked on the running bug yet...but it was fun...and I think i'd do it again! 

I took this with my phone after the race...
which is why you don't see my hot and sweaty face! 

All the love in the universe~

1 comment:

Lanae said...

Congratulations!!! That is awesome. I ran my first race two years ago and it was a BLAST!